Featured Post

New site

The family tree is now online at Davies and Geleick family tree . Most people are now fully sourced and updates are planned to add more pri...

Research

If you can add any data to the Geleick family tree please feel free to contact me, if you think you may be related directly or by marriage then please share the information, I can offer the full family tree details, with research notes and sources, to anyone who is researching trees that may join with mine.


Post your Genealogy Research on FamilyTreeCircles.com

Monday, August 20, 2007

Where is Ruth Geleick?

Ancestry.com is a bit like Rome, all roads seem to lead there, at some point I may actually pay for their service but at the moment I am quite happy with the free account that does not offer much. What it does give me is the occasional free taster such as recently free access to the New York Passenger Lists, where I found out about Ruth Geleick.

Ruth left Hamburg, Germany 24 April 1954 on m.v. "Italia" and arrived in New York City, NY a few days later. There the track goes cold, and I can, so far, find nothing in Germany about her. I assume that in New York, or wherever she traveled after arriving there, she married and did the American thing of changing her name. Or it could be the next time she shows up in official documents she had her name misspelled by the official or herself. I did come across a US Social Security death notice for a Ruth Gleick but that may be someone else.

My greatest hope is that I will come across a reference to her in Germany as the sister or daughter of someone I have not yet traced.

If anyone knows anything about Ruth please let me know.

No comments: