Featured Post

New site

The family tree is now online at Davies and Geleick family tree . Most people are now fully sourced and updates are planned to add more pri...

Research

If you can add any data to the Geleick family tree please feel free to contact me, if you think you may be related directly or by marriage then please share the information, I can offer the full family tree details, with research notes and sources, to anyone who is researching trees that may join with mine.


Post your Genealogy Research on FamilyTreeCircles.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The start

Just who are the Geleick's and where did they come from?

Most people have probably had the same thoughts about their family, this blog details the research I have done into the Geleick family, you may find the methods used will help you find you ancestors, you may find you are related to the Geleick family, you may just find all the hard work I do interesting. In any case you are welcome to read this and send me your comments.

The first thing I did was write down everything I knew, or thought I knew, about the family. That gave me half a dozen names and a few dates, not an extensive family tree yet!

Next step was to ask other family members what they knew, this added a lot more people and some more dates and the first disputes. What people remember is not always accurate, even the name of one great aunt was in dispute and some dates and even places of birth.

So we come to one of the important facts for genealogists, written data is usually more accurate than memory, especially if it was written at the time the event took place. Assume nothing until you have the evidence.

So now I need two things, a source of data and a method to store the data I am collecting in a sensible manner, so I can display the findings and find the data when I need to add to it or confirm it. Luckily the net provides both these so I'll go and do some research and see what works for me.

No comments: